Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spring fever!

I have a bad case of spring fever.... the weather (except for today) has been wonderful. I decided to do a container garden this year and next year get in the ground. I went to Menard's and bought a ton of concrete edging as I want it raised a bit......fast forward 7 days....(I started this post days ago) Well Nancy and I decided we wanted those same edging bricks along the front of the house and around the two flower beds in the back yard, so off we went and got another full pallet of bricks, 140 to be exact.Yesterday we placed them in front of the house and they look very nice, BUT we decide to do two levels so now we need to get more if I am going to do them around my new garden...I am so sore I will need to recuperate before I tackle the back LOL
Tax season is over and so is my time with Maddie...and last week I had the pleasure(?) of keeping JaeLee also. LOL Sorry for the bad quality, they were taken with my blackberry and they weren't very cooperative, um were you at TWO! Yeah there are two little munchkins crawling thru that toy in that last photo.Now I need to focus on finding a real job! If you have a lead let me know!

Clean eating is going GREAT in the house! We are eating fun new things and all of it fresh. I have even discovered that eating out at my favorite restaurant isn't a big deal anymore...I even threw out my leftovers!!! I'd rather eat at home.

Let's get back to our rules, this is the start of the final part of the book, Food Rules HOW SHOULD I EAT? (NOT TOO MUCH) The rules in this section are designed to help you build a healthier relationship with food.
The French paradox: the mystery of a population that eats all sorts of supposedly lethal fatty foods and then drinks red wine, but the French are healthier, slimmer and live slightly longer than we. The reason could be that the French people have a totally different relationship with food than we have. They rarely snack, eat smaller portions and do not go back for seconds. They also enjoy their food more leisurely, enjoying long meals with other people. Behaviors like these may matter more than the nutrient in their diet.

RULE 44: Pay more, eat less.
You get what you pay for. There is a trade-off between quality and quantity. Our system of food production has been focused on quantity rather than quality, hence the giant meat farms and industrial food farms. It reduces the price but the quality suffers. Americans spend less than 10% of their income on food, less than any citizens of any other nation. But we are paying for it in our health. We are the least healthy of any nation. If you spend more for better food you will probably eat less of it and treat it with more care. So choose quality over quantity...and as our grandmothers said "it's better to pay the grocer than the doctor"

Have a fantabulous day ... ciao

1 comment:

Jen said...

Cute pics!! I bet you had fun with them!!